Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Chicks 'n all

Now this is interesting. Was having a converstaion yesterday with a couple of friends and this whole thing came up about the how funny guys are when it comes to talking to a girl and stuff and why they simply can't think clearly, why they act so strange, etc. Somehow or the other the conversation then veered to some awkward situations I had found myself in, and I suddenly remembered a few real stinkers! There was this time when one of my best friends' sister told me she liked me and I was like Whaaaat!!! I mean, not only was it like a bolt out of the blue, it was my friends sister, which hit me like a double whammy! God!

Which train of thought led me to think about the really astonising manner in which I actually met and started speaking to the girl that would be one of my best friends in the future! This was on a class trip from school, and it so happened, when we reached the place we were supposed to reach, their class was there as well. Now me and a friend were basically just fooling around when I saw this girl and for some vague reason, that I have never since been able to comprehend, decided to talk to her. I mean it was very crazy. This was the time when ICQ was all the rage in school, and we were basically just asking whether the person's chat name was "bubbles", whom we knew was from the other school, the same class, but not the same section. Too involved for you? Tough. Anyway, so I go up to her and ask her whether her name was "bubbles" oh right it isn't eh? so what is it then? ah okay, thanks.

That was it. For the remainder of the trip I was just hanging about doing stuff with my friends and did not really pay too much attention to her at all. However, when it got late and the picnic was winding up, I saw her leaving, and right out of the blue I just went up to her and asked her for her phone number, to which she was like, give me yours, and i was like no no, you give me yours. So she did. Yay!

Now was the best part. I had memorised the number and so I called her up after a cooling off period of two days. I did not, you see, want to seem over-eager! So I called her up and her mom picked up the phone, and then it hit me - I had not even told her my name!!!! Yikes! So I was like hello aunty, may I spek with so-and-so? And she naturally asks me my name, and I was like Oh wonderful, here it comes, She will tell her that that there is a call for her from this guy with this name and she will be like who? I have never heard that name before! Which would be true as names go, because I am the first to admit I have an unusual name. But, as luck would have it, she did come online, we did speak, she did recognise me, and well, we have become very good friends since then!

On the topic of calling up a girl for the first time, I have always considered the most unnerving interview I have had on the phone to be the one where I spoke to the father, who wanted to ascertain who I was and what I was doing calling up his precious daughter! So, the background - I was in the first year in my first college, and was calling up this girl in my department. Her dad picked up the phone and he was like - Yes? who do you want to talk to? Uh...Uncle, may I speak with ..... Where are you calling from? he thundered. Huh? Uh I am calling from my home? Are you trying to be funny? Growl Growl? Eh? I asked you where you are from? From Delhi? Oh wait.. I see...I am from her department in college, and so on...So why did you not tell me in the first place????? Well, the truth was, I had never had to face the interrogation committee when I wanted to call up anyone before!

Then there is the subject of pick-up lines. There was this party I went to in school, right, and there was this chick there who was decentish and me and my friend both wanted to talk to. So, instead of doing the smart thing and walking right upto her and chatting with her, we made a devious plan involving talking to her when the slow dance thing would happen. So we decided on this real stinker of a line - "So is your dad an astronomer? You have stars in your eyes." Gaah....I need water. GUlp! Wotta line! And there was another, but I decided I would use this one. So when we started dancing, after a while I did. She just looked a little dazed and gave me a weak and rather confused smile. Hmm. Ok. Not too bad, I thought. I went over in a bit to where my friend was sitting and asked him about what happened with him. He had danced with the same girl I had before me. We had decided to compare notes. So I ask him, what did you say? Oh you know, that Astronomer thing. Whaaat? I used the same line on her! Whaaaaaat? What did she say? Nothing, she just smiled a little confused smile and looked a little sheepish! Oh My God. Same here! So we decided the girl was thick and that was that. But seriously. What the heck?????? I mean, what???

There are so many more entertaining things that I have been lucky enough to have had been a part of. Maybe another post.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey kanav, why dont u mention some of the other stuff we were discussing the same nite...like a certain freshers' party...jiska amazing snaps i managed to view... and that too completely uncensored ;)

ridhi

9:01 PM  
Blogger N said...

What?? what?? what??
How come I don't know about the fresher's party thingy, eh? Damn! I am not keeping up with the gossip!

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kaafi khele khaaye lagte ho miyaan...aur yahaan tak ki freshers party me bhi apna khelan aur khana nahi bhoole, haaiiin?

7:39 PM  
Blogger Kanav Rishi Kaul said...

Abey Khamosh!

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post of urs maybe the sole reason if I do actually flunk tomorrow's FIS exam....btw....it was damn funny! :)))
Something always hits me when I read ur posts..."Why the hell was I a nerd for most of my education:( " :)))))))

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh?? I dont remember NE fresher's party being discussed on that nite. Or was it after I left that it came up? Ok, now one post on that part of the discussion, pls.
Pavithra

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home