Monday, August 24, 2009

Disquiet.

It occured to me that one little dot at the end of a little word like 'disquiet' can make it seem so much more ominous. Two would have been odd and three are just funny and trifle melodramatic... whoops. or whoops..

GREAT opening paragraph for a blog that hasn't been written in over a year and a half. 

I have just been lent a book recommended to me with the following statement: If you have even a slightly pessimistic bent of mind or even a hint of a streak of pessimism, read this book and.. (Two dots, that must be odd. Here I forget what else was said. The general gist was that it would seriously screw up a person with an inclination towards morbidity)

I am perusing it now, and am skimming over some of the statements that the author (whom I expect to write a bit more about shortly) has penned, and which, in turn my friend has penned again at various places in the book. 

Hmmm...lets see now, 

"The universe isn't mine; it's me"  - Well, okay, sounds like something Vijay Mallya might be found saying. 

" I carry my awareness of defeat like a banner of victory" - That does affect me. Nice.

"I bear the wounds of all the battles I avoided" - Too bloody true. 

"Wise is the man who monotonises his existence, for then each minor incident seems a marvel" - I like.

And so far, what affected me the most: "The only way to survive in this world is by keping alive our dream, without ever fulfilling it, since the fulfillment never measures up to what we can imagine."

Enough! This is a spiralling pathway winding downwards into dizzy dispondency!

I can already say with a marked degree of certainty that I am going to enjoy reading this book. And maybe depress myself a little bit. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home